Swanson® Hearty Beef Stew (Slow Cooker)
Write a review
- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1" cubes
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium potato, cut into cubes
- 4 pound medium carrots, sliced
- 2 pound medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 pound cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (Regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Season beef with black pepper. Coat beef with 2 tbsp. flour. Heat oil in 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with beef. Add 3 cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 11 hr.* or until beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Stir remaining flour and broth in small bowl. Stir flour mixture and peas in cooker. Turn heat to HIGH. Cover and cook 15 min. or until mixture boils and thickens.
- *Or on HIGH 5 to 6 hr.