Strawberry-Chocolate Meringue Torte
Write a review
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed and divided
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 2 (8-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over, and secure with masking tape.
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half of the mixture into each circle on prepared baking sheet using the back of a spoon. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until the meringues are crisp.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 teaspoon sugar; cover and set aside.
- Sprinkle each meringue with 1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips. Return the meringues to oven; turn off heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Spread the softened chocolate with a spatula. Cool meringues to room temperature.
- Place 1 meringue on a serving platter; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange half of strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Top with remaining meringue; spread 1 cup whipped topping over top. Arrange the remaining strawberry mixture over the whipped topping. Place 1 tablespoon chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until chips are soft. Stir chocolate; drizzle over top of torte.