New Year’s Day Breakfast Casserole
Write a review
- 10 oz ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 lb bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Additional chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 On 17x12-inch half-sheet pan, place bread cubes. Let stand uncovered 8 hours to dry.
- 2 In large bowl, mix milk, eggs and 1 tablespoon oregano. Add bread to egg mixture, stirring to coat. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3 Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 12-inch skillet, cook sausage, onion and bell pepper 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink. Drain.
- 4 Add sausage mixture and 1 cup of the cheese to bread mixture, stirring well. Pour into baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 5 Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until center is set and cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with additional oregano.