Irish Soda Bread
Write a review
- 3 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
- Grease a 9 inch round cast iron skillet or a 9 inch round baking or cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour (reserving 1 tablespoon), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and sour cream.
- Stir the liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. Knead dough in bowl about 10 to 12 strokes. Dough will be sticky..Now don't be nervous at its consistency as during the preparation phase, it doesn't resemble a typical bread loaf, Don't worry!
- Place the dough in the prepared skillet or pan and pat down. Cut a 4x3/4 inch deep slit in the top of the bread. Dust with reserved flour
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 65 to 75 minutes. Let cool and turn bread onto a wire rack.